VIKING NETWORK IRELAND
St. Peter's Elementary School, Mount Pearl, Newfoundland, Canada
From Lowndes Middle School, Valdosta, Georgia, U.S.A.
We would like to wish everyone a Very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
Everyone lists Christmas as one of his or her favorite holidays.
- The weather is generally very mild with no chance of snow. The weather
today was cloudy and 70 degrees.
- Families begin decorating their homes and yards around Thanksgiving or
just shortly after. Favorite decorations this year include icicle lights
on houses and in yards. The most popular decoration being a Christmas
tree (artificial or real).
- Christmas means visits with relatives and plenty of good things to eat.
Being with Family and friends is an important part of this holiday.
- Favorite Christmas Carols/songs include: Jingle Bells, Away in a Manger,
Frosty the Snowman, and Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer.
- Many students go to see Dance Arts' (a local ballet company)
performance of the Nutcracker.
- A popular Christmas movie to see right now is "The Grinch" starring Jim Carrey.
- School will be closed December 20 and classes will resume January 6, 2001.
- On the first Saturday in December, Downtown Valdosta celebrates the arrival
of the holiday season with the Holiday Open House. This annual event features
activities for the entire family, and includes business open houses, an antique
toy display, open house at the Lowndes County Historical Museum, tours of
the Converse-Dalton house, horse-drawn carriage rides, trolley rides,
a special children's production by Theatre Guild Valdosta, a visit from
Santa Claus, and - a community favorite - the lighting of a holiday tree
on the courthouse lawn. Also, the annual Christmas parade will take place
along with the other festivities. Our city's web address is www.valdostaga.com/.
- Santa comes to visit on Christmas Eve and leaves presents to be opened Christmas morning.
- We celebrate the birth of Jesus. Local churches have Christmas Eve services
and many families attend. As one student says "Jesus is the reason for the season!"
Updated December 2000 by The Viking Network.
Irish Co-ordinator Michael Farry,
Navan Education Centre firstname.lastname@example.org
Project Home Page
Viking Home Page